Basic materials stocks finished down broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 0.7%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.4%, the Nasdaq was down 0.2% and the S&P 500 declined 0.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 6.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 1.5% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is up 1.4% today.
- Matthews International Corp (MATW): MATW stock is up 1.0% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is up 0.9% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 0.6%, marking the eighth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF.B): GEF.B stock is up 0.5% today.
- Bhp Billiton Limited (BHP): BHP stock is up 0.5% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 0.5% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is up 0.5% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is down 2.5% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 2.1% today.
- Cabot Corp (CBT): CBT stock is down 2.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Sonoco Products Company (SON): SON stock is down 2.0% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 2.0% today.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is down 1.9% today.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is down 1.9% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is down 1.8% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is down 1.8% today.
- PPG Industries (PPG): PPG stock is down 1.8% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.