Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street on Friday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.1%, the Nasdaq pushed 0.6% higher and the S&P 500 was up 0.1%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is up 3.2% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW): SLW stock is up 2.7% today.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is up 2.7% today.
- First Majestic Silver (AG): AG stock is up 2.0% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is up 1.9% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is up 1.7% today and up 20.8% in the last month.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is up 1.5% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 1.5% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is up 1.2% today.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is up 1.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is down 1.4% today.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is down 1.1% today.
- Cvr Partners LP Common Units R (UAN): UAN stock is down 1.1% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is down 1.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is down 0.9% today.
- Raven Industries (RAVN): RAVN stock is down 0.9% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 0.9% today.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (SMG): SMG stock is down 0.9% today.
- Innophos Holdings (IPHS): IPHS stock is down 0.7% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is down 0.7% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.