The following are some of today’s most notable movers of interest; categorized by market capitalization (large cap over $10 billion and mid cap between $2-$10 billion) and ranked by % change (all stocks over 100K average daily volume).
Large Cap Gainers
- CVS Caremark Corp (NYSE:CVS) 48.78 +2.61%: CVS announced a 38% dividend increase to $0.225 per share, reaffirmed FY12 guidance and increased guidance for next year.
- Praxair (NYSE:PX) 107.99 +1.28%: Praxair Distribution, a subsidiary of PX, acquired PortaGas, a producer of portable cylinder gases and recyclable cylinders today.
- Williams Companies (NYSE:WMB) 31.56 +1.38%: Momentum continues from yesterday’s announcement of a 46.5 million share public offering at $31 per share.
Large Cap Losers
- Astrazeneca (NYSE:AZN) 47.63 -2.59%: Astrazeneca announced top-line results of the OSKIRA-4 Phase IIb study, which investigated a therapy for rheumatoid arthritis. The study did not fulfill one of its primary objectives.
- Phillips 66 (NYSE:PSX) 51.72 -2.51%: This natural gas and petrochemical holding company is hosting its first Analyst meeting today, and announced a capital program and intent to form an MLP.
Mid Cap Gainers
- Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) 14.15 +16.18%: The Minnesota Star-Tribune reported that Best Buy’s founder Richard Schulze is expected bid $5-6 billion for the company by this Friday.
- Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR) 3.11 +13.09%: Sprint’s (NYSE:S) acquisition proceedings continue. Today Sprint (NYSE:S) filed an amended 13D to the SEC. The company has proposed acquiring remaining shares of CLWR for $2.90 per share
- Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) 14.12 +6.09%: RIMM stock exploded on the news of a U.S. Immigration and Customs BlackBerry 10 pilot program.
Mid Cap Losers
- Dicks Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS) 45.42 -3.71%: Equity research firm Cleveland Research lowered expectations for DKS comps.
- Nabors Industries Ltd. (NYSE:NBR) 13.97 -3.85%: NBR stock is down on a rating downgrade from Hold to Underperform from Jefferies.
- United Therapeutics Corporation (NASDAQ:UTHR) 50.22 -3.72%: UTHR was downgraded to Sell from Neutral at Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS).