The following are some of today’s most notable movers of interest, categorized by market capitalization (large cap over $10 billion and mid cap between $2-$10 billion) and ranked by percent change (all stocks over 100K average daily volume).
Large Cap Gainers
- Ross Stores (NASDAQ:ROST) $56.70 – $58.92, +7.8%: Reported a 6% gain in Dec. same store sales, outpacing the 3% Retail Metrics consensus. The company also raised Q4 EPS guidance.
- Transocean LTD (NYSE:RIG) $45.64 – $49.82, +7.16%: BloombergTV reported that the company will settle government charges for its role in the 2010 BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill case for $1.5 billion.
- TJX Companies, Inc. (NYSE:TJX) $44.11 – $44.93, +3.53%: Reported a 6% gain in Dec. same store sales and raised Q4 guidance. Canaccord Genuity raised their fourth-quarter EPS estimates for the company.
Large Cap Losers
- Limited Brands (NYSE:LTD) $44.00 – $45.36, -5.36%: Reported a 3% gain in Dec. same store sales, underperforming the 4.7% Retail Metrics consensus.
- AFLAC Incorporated (NYSE:AFL) $52.11 – $53.62, -3.37%: Downgraded to Neutral from Overweight at JP Morgan.
- General Growth Properties (NYSE:GGP) $19.22 – $19.57, -3.27%: Brookfield Asset Management (NYSE:BAM) acquired warrants representing the right to acquire 18,432,855 shares of GGP stock.
Mid Cap Gainers
- Alcatel Lucent (NYSE:ALU) $1.51 – $ 1.56, + 9.86%: Upgraded to Neutral from Underperform at Credit Suisse.
- Medivation, Inc. (NASDAQ:MDVN) $51.43 – $54.08, +4.43%: Initiated with a Buy at Janney.
- Hormel Foods Corporation (NYSE:HRL) $32.25 – $33.82, +3.94%: Hormel announced plans to acquire Skippy Peanut Butter from Unilever (NYSE:UL) for $700 million.
Mid Cap Losers
- Mellanox Technologies (NASDAQ:MLNX) $49.11 – $53.74, -14.38%: MLNX lowered Q4 guidance to $119-$121 million, below consensus of $148.6 million. Several analysts lowered their targets on this news.
- Family Dollar Stores (NYSE:FDO) $54.93 – $57.40, -12.13%: FDO underperformed its EPS estimate and lowered Q2 and FY13 EPS guidance.
- Myriad Genetics (NASDAQ:MYGN) $26.05 – $27.24, -4.70%: Downgraded to Underweight from Neutral at JP Morgan (NYSE:JPM).
InvestorPlace advisor John Lansing tracks the charts all day and offers expert technical analysis in his day trading, options and trading services: Power Trading at the Open, Parabolic Options and Trending123. For more information on which service is for you click here.