The following are some of today’s most notable movers of interest, categorized by market capitalization (large cap over $10 billion and mid cap between $2-$10 billion) and ranked by percent change (all stocks over 100,000 average daily volume).
Large Cap Gainers
- Hess Corp. (NYSE:HES) $67.13 – $70.77, +8.95%: HES reports earnings tomorrow at 10 a.m., and Elliott Management, a 4% shareholder in HES, sent a letter to other HES shareholders urging them to nominate new directors to the board to unlock maximum shareholder value.
- Valero (NYSE:VLO) $41.85 – $42.95, +9.48%: Valero released positive earnings today, beating both EPS and revenue expectations.
- Canadian Pacific Railway Limited (NYSE:CP) $111.13 – $118.07, +5.10%: CP released overall positive earnings today, including positive guidance for FY13.
Large Cap Losers
- VMware, Inc. (NYSE:VMW) $76.33 – $80.00, -21.11%: VMWare is way down today based on a troubling earnings report, weak guidance and layoffs at the company. Analysts at Wunderlich, Morgan Stanley (NYSE:MS), Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS), Sterne Agee, Piper Jaffray and MKM Partners, among others, have released downgrades and lowered targets for the stock.
- Seagate Technology PLC (NASDAQ:STX) $33.70 – $35.15, -9.62%: The STX earnings conference call revealed lowered expectations for Q3 revenues. Analysts at Evercore downgraded the stock to Equal Weight from Overweight at Evercore, and FBN Securities downgraded it to Sector Perform.
- Ford (NYSE:F) $12.89 – $13.61, -5.60%: Despite the highest Q4 pre-tax profit in nearly a decade, the company projected total operating profit for 2013 to be about equal to 2012.
Mid Cap Gainers
- D.R. Horton, Inc. (NYSE:DHI) $22.16 – $23.72, +10.42%: DHI released positive earnings, beating EPS and revenue expectations.
- Peabody Energy Corporation (NYSE:BTU) $25.40 – $27.20, +5.33%: BTU released positive earnings, beating both EPS and revenue expectations in Q4.
- CIT Group (NYSE:CIT) $41.55 – $43.90, +5.98%: CIT released positive earnings, with EPS at $1.03 per share.
Mid Cap Losers
- BMC Software, Inc. (NASDAQ:BMC) $40.00 – $41.32, -8.52%: BMC missed EPS estimates by two cents and guided FY13 EPS below consensus. Cowen & Co. downgraded the stock to Neutral from Outperform.
- Ashland Inc. (NYSE:ASH) $76.23 – $82.00, -6.28%: Missed on EPS by 25 cents.
- Fortinet, Inc. (NASDAQ:FTNT) $19.68 – $20.45,-6.18%: Wunderlich downgraded the stock to Hold and lowered the target to $22.
InvestorPlace advisor John Lansing tracks the charts all day and offers expert technical analysis in his day trading, options and trading services: Power Trading at the Open, Parabolic Options and Trending123. For more information on which service is for you click here.