The following are some of today’s most notable movers of interest, categorized by market capitalization (large cap over $10 billion and mid cap between $2-10 billion) and ranked by % change (all stocks over 100K average daily volume).
Large Cap Gainers
- Adobe Systems (NASDAQ:ADBE) 37.53 +5.63: ADBE released positive earnings yesterday, beating quarterly EPS by $0.05. Revenues rose 0.1% to $1.15 billion, slightly over the $1.1 billion estimate.
- PPG Industries (NYSE:PPG) 131.01 +4.63: Today PPG announced plans to acquire AkzoNovel (PINK:AKZOY) in a $1.05 billion deal that will more than double the company’s North American architectural coatings presence.
- DaVita Healthcare Partners (NYSE:DVA) 109.66 +2.50: Upgraded to Buy from Neutral at Nomura
Large Cap Losers
- Schlumberger Limited (NYSE:SLB) 68.13 -6.11: Issued an update today about contractual delays in Europe, CIS and Africa and seasonal slowdowns in North America that are expected to negatively impact Q4 EPS by $0.05-0.07.
- Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) 60.34 -3.86: Weakness in sympathy with Apple decline.
- Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) 511.22 -3.49: UBS cut AAPL stock estimates from $780 to $700. Reports of a lukewarm iPhone 5 launch in China didn’t help either.
Mid Cap Gainers
- Alcatel Lucent (NYSE:ALU) 1.23 +11.36: ALU entered into commitments with Credit Suisse (NYSE:CS) and Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS) for 1.615 billion euros in senior secured credit facilities
- Youku Tudou (NYSE:YOKU) 16.21 +3.84: Initiated with an Overweight at Morgan Stanley
- Virgin Media (NASDAQ:VMED) 36.38 +3.71: Authorized a repurchase program to buy back at least 1.12 bln pounds or ~19% of current market capitalization
Mid Cap Losers
- Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) 12.03 -14.80: The board of the company and founder Richard Schulze agreed to push out the date for Schulze to make a bid on the company, which was expected to happen today.
- VeriPhone Systems (NYSE:PAY) 29.36 -11.65: PAY reported earnings yesterday and lowered guidance for the next quarter, estimating Q1 EPS of $0.70-0.73 versus a $0.75 estimate and revenues of $490-$500 million versus a $495.97 mln estimate.
- Centene Corp. (NYSE:CNC) 41.47 -7.78: CNC significantly lowered fiscal year 2012 EPS guidance to $0.10-0.20 from $0.56-0.66.