The following are some of today’s most notable movers of interest, categorized by market capitalization (large cap over $10 billion and mid cap between $2-$10 billion) and ranked by percent change (all stocks over 100K average daily volume).
Large Cap Gainers
- General Motors (NYSE:GM) 27.61 +8.32:GM announced a plan to buy back shares from the U.S. Treasury at $27.50 per share. This is part of the U.S. Treasury’s plan to exit its investment in GM over the next 12-15 months.
- Oracle (NASDAQ:ORCL) 34.08 +3.65: Oracle announced earnings yesterday, and beat quarterly EPS by $0.03. Revenues rose 3.4% year over year to $9.11 billion.
- Petroleo Brasileiro Petrobras (NYSE:PBR) 20.23 +3.58: PBR has entered into an agreement with Vale SA (NYSE:VALE) to purchase 100% of the shares issued by Araucária Nitrogenados S.A. and acquire a nitrogenated fertilizer plant.
Large Cap Losers
- General Electric (NYSE:GE) 21.14 -2.52: GE was removed from the UBS Key Call list (a list of UBS analysts’ “highest conviction” calls). UBS cited uncertain macro environment impact on earnings.
- British American Tobacco (NYSE:BTI) 100.85 -2.41: European Commission confirmed plans to review the EU Tobacco Product Directive. Proposed revisions to the law include a mandate that warning labels must cover 75% of tobacco packaging and a ban on specially flavored tobacco products.
- Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH) 35.03 -2.12: DISH announced that their subsidiary, DISH DBS Corp., plans an offering of senior notes
Mid Cap Gainers
- Alterra Capital Holdings (NASDAQ:ALTE) 28.9 +24.84: To be acquired by Markel for ~$31 per share. Once the acquisition is complete, current Markel shareholders will own approximately 69% of the combined company, and Alterra’s shareholders will own approximately 31%.
- Focus Media Holding Limited (NASDAQ:FMCN) 25.58 +6.98: Hearing rumors that a buyout offer for the company has been raised to $30 from $27; stock is halted
- Mellanox Technologies (NASDAQ:MLNX) 64.66 +4.51: Barclays reissued their overweight rating for Mellanox.
Mid Cap Losers
- Actuant Corporation (NYSE:ATU) 27.68 -6.49: ATU reported Q1 earnings, and missed quarterly EPS by $0.01. Revenues fell 3.9% year over year to $377.3 million.
- Gulfport Energy Corporation (NASDAQ:GPOR) 37.65 -4.42: Priced underwritten public offering of 11 million shares of common stock at $38.00 per share
- Team Health Holdings (NYSE:TMH) 28.97 -3.36: Priced secondary offering of 8 million shares of common stock at $28.95 per share