The following are some of today’s most notable movers of interest, categorized by market capitalization (large cap over $10 billion and mid cap between $2-$10 billion) and ranked by percent change (all stocks over 100K average daily volume).
Large Cap Gainers
- Toyota Motor Corporation (NYSE:TM) 91.67 +1.45%: The company is going through with a $1.1 billion settlement of a class-action lawsuit against Toyota that alleged that certain cars accelerated unintentionally
- ArcelorMittal (NYSE:MT) 17.05 +0.59%: Up in sympathy with oil/gas related names such as Total S.A. (NYSE:TOT)
- Telefonica S.A. (NYSE:TEF) 13.48 +0.57%: Telecom related names, including TEF and France Telecom (NYSE:FTE), are showing strength today.
Large Cap Losers
- Companhia Energetica Minas Gerais (NYSE:CIG) 10.86 -12.06% from yesterday: The drop today is normal, as the company is going ex-dividend for a dividend payout on Dec. 31.
- Petroleo Brasileiro Petrobras SA (NYSE:PBR) 19.03 -3.11%: Reports indicate that the company is facing losses in its thermal plant operations unit.
- Ford (NYSE:F) (12.45 -2.66%: Reuters reported on Ford’s announcement today that the company is spending more than $773 million on new equipment and capacity expansions across six manufacturing facilities in southeast Michigan.
Mid Cap Gainers
- Expedia (NASDAQ:EXPE) 59.76 +3.17%): Moody’s confirmed last night that hotel booking company Trivago will not affect the Ba1 corporate family rating.
- KAR Auction Services (NYSE:KAR) 20.23 +3.48%: Upgraded to Overweight from Equal Weight at a boutique firm.
- Fortress Investment Group (NYSE:FIG) 4.26 +0.47%): An officer and 10% owner of the company sold 2,082,684 B shares at $3.50 per share for a total of approximately $7.3 million.
Mid Cap Losers
- KT Corporation (NYSE:KT) 16.47 -5.94%: Reports out yesterday indicated the co is moving forward with bid for Vivendi stake.
- JC Penney (NYSE:JCP) 19.32 -6.89%: Showing weakness following a mention in a WSJ story highlighting 2013 as a critical year for four struggling companies.
- Marvell Technology Group (NASDAQ:MRVL) 7.08 -4.32%: Marvell seeks to overturn the jury’s findings in a patent infringement case brought by Carnegie Mellon University. The company was also downgraded to Market Perform from Market Outperform at JMP Securities.
InvestorPlace advisor John Lansing tracks the charts all day and offers expert technical analysis in his day trading, options and trading services: Power Trading at the Open, Parabolic Options and Trending123. For more information on which service is for you click here.