Today, we’ve seen big upswings of as much as 14% in certain stocks – and up to 6% losses in others. Below, I’ve listed some of the most noteworthy moves categorized by market capitalization (large caps over $10 billion and mid cap between $2-$10 billion) and ranked by percent change (all stocks have more than 100,000 average daily volume).
- Nexen (NYSE:NXY); $26.86, +14.2%): Regulators in Canada green-lighted CNOOC’s (NYSE:CEO) purchase of NXY.
- Baidu.com (NASDAQ:BIDU); $91.71 +2.64%): Chinese firm 86 Research has been making affirmative comments about BIDU.
- Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ); $14.30 +2.58%): Rumors abound that Carl Icahn, who has a significant share in the company, may file.
- Gap (NYSE:GAP); $30.27, -4.84%): Wedbush Research has been cautiously watching this retailer, on rumors of an increase in Old Navy’s promotional activity.
- Priceline (NASDAQ:PCLN); $629.29, -4.52%): Deutsche Bank (NYSE:DB) downgraded from “Buy” to “Hold.”
- Nokia (NYSE:NOK); 3.7, -3.90%): Oppenheimer increased its estimates slightly but the firm said it continues to be cautious.
- Concur Technologies (NASDAQ:CNQR); $65.35, +5.71%): Received an upgrade from Wunderlich to “Buy” with a target of $84.
- Ariad Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:ARIA); $23.04, +4.40%): Released 12-month data from critical PACE trial of Ponatinib in heavily pretreated chronic myeloid leukemia patients in the chronic phase, and 56% saw a major cytogenetic response.
- Mellanox Technologies (NASDAQ:MLNX); $71.33, +4.33%): Announced that Teradata (NYSE:TDC) has picked its InfiniBand interconnect product to help increase speeds for the Teradata Aster Big Analytics Appliance. In addition, MLNX announced internal promotions of Roni Ashuri to senior vice president of engineering and Marc Sultzbaugh to senior vice president of worldwide sales.
- Groupon (NASDAQ:GRPN); $4.41, -5.97%): T. Rowe unveiled it had a 2.1% stake in an amended 13-G filing, which is down from the 11.6% figure released on Aug. 10.
- John Wiley and Sons (NYSE:JW-A); $40.90, -4.26%): The firm’s second-quarter revenues dropped 3% year over year to $432 million versus estimates of $451.6 million. In addition, EPS dropped 12% year over year to 71 cents versus analyst estimates of 82 cents.
- Ultra Petroleum (NYSE:UPL); $19.02, -3.67%): CorEnergy Infrastructure Trust (NASDAQ:CORR) signed an agreement to acquire one of UPL’s Liquids Gathering System for $225 million, cash.
John Lansing tracks the charts all day and offers expert technical analysis in his day trading, options and trading services: Power Trading at the Open, Parabolic Options and Trending123. For more information on which service is for you click here.