June 18, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Trader

Since AAPL hit a 52-week low of $390 back in mid-April, it has risen about 10%. It now trades around $430 and I’m upset that I didn’t buy it when I had the chance.

AAPL barely even got a bump from the latest World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) it held last week. They introduced a new Mac Pro and iOS7, which hints that a new iPhone is around the corner.

Does anyone think the stock will continue to rise? Or was $500, $600, $700 just to high for this tech giant? Is it destined to stay in $400-territory forever?

June 20, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Forum_Admin

Investors seem to expect Apple to come out with the latest and greatest thing at least once a year, and they’re disappointed if it doesn’t happen. But as we saw earlier this year, it’s just not possible to sustain that kind of growth long-term. Yes, it’s their job to be creative and innovative, but I actually see it as a good sign that they’re refining their products with the new OS and other developments–it’s no longer a breakneck pace, and they’re just making the various aspects of their company better, which is a good thing for shareholders. New products aren’t the only way a company can grow.

For example, even that online radio thing that got a lot of hoopla a few weeks ago has actually been a feature of iTunes since the software first came out. It was just sort of buried in different sub-menus. Now they’re just refining that product and making it more available.

Trader’s Talk Moderator Account

June 24, 2013 at 10:44 am

Trader

I agree. Whenever a friend tells me that INTC, MSFT, GOOG, Android etc. makes the better phone and computer hardware, I always admit that they are right. Those PC companies do sell better hardware with more power in their products — so how is Apple so much more successful?

I think it’s because Apple has the resources to put any processor/hardware in their products. They can literally facilitate the production of any product they want. However, the way they became so successful was to make consumers wait and wait and wait for a product, maybe for technology that has been out on Google devices for years. It doesn’t matter, though. The anticipation they build in the consumer base generates huge returns for them.

Investors, on the other hand, seem to see through this strategy. They didn’t react well to the iPhone 4s or iPhone 5, or anything since. Wall Street likes certainty and maybe Apple’s way of promoting their products through mystery, keeping their products behind closed doors until their release, is hurting their stock. It presents the opportunity for investors to be disappointed, which I believe is what started their individual stock crash.

July 1, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Trader

Apple sell’s a “COOL ” factor .. Phones are now a commodity , like computers , the only thing left is smaller and faster And AAPL last refuge , A working ecosystem that they control .. but personally I think it will drop to $360 over the next year . It was not worth 700 ++. They should just continue to pay profits as dividends and bring back manufacturing to the USA .

July 2, 2013 at 10:46 am

Forum_Admin

I’m not an Apple fan – mine is not a new opinion but, at this point, it just seems they are making the same gadget in different sizes.

“Everyone must choose two pains: The pain of discipline, or the pain of regret.” Jim Rohn

July 2, 2013 at 11:53 am

Trader

I am an Apple fan so it is my duty to defend them. They are switching their focus to software, not hardware. They will let Samsung and HTC build bigger and bigger phones until people realize they are carrying around tablets in their pockets. G13man, the COOL factor is now how big of a screen can you fit into your phone. So, eventually, when screens cannot get any bigger without crossing into tablet-size territory, they will have nothing left. That’s when Apple will swoop in…I hope.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.