Sep 19, 2014, 3:32 pm EDT
Citizens of Scotland voted to remain a part of the United Kingdom on Thursday.
The decision to stay with the UK won with 55% of the votes. The other 45% of the votes were for leaving the UK. There was no third option during the voting process, but one was suggested. This option would have given Scots the option to vote for devo-max, which would have Scotland handling most of its own affairs while remaining part of the UK, reports Reuters.
Following voters’ decision to stay with the UK, Alex Salmond, Scotland’s First Minister and head of its independence movement, resigned from office. Salmond was also the head of the Scottish National Party (SNP). He said he won’t run for reelection to be leader of the SNP, The Washington Post notes. Read
Sep 18, 2014, 2:44 pm EDT
Citizens of Scotland are voting over whether or not they want the country to be independent from the United Kingdom.
The vote began Thursday morning at 7 a.m. local time and it runs until 10 p.m. (2 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET). 4.2 million members of Scotland’s 5.3 million population are registered to vote.
The Scotland vote for independence is the largest electorate ever in the country. If it passes by a simple majority, the country would no longer be a part of the United Kingdom along with England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Read
Aug 30, 2014, 11:00 am EDT
With all the talk of a student loan bubble, let’s first remember that the entire student loan burden is $1.2 trillion, of which maybe 20% is in true danger of default.
Yes, that’s a lot of money, but it’s not the coming disaster everyone speaks of.
It does, however, speak to the scam of higher education being perpetrated on Americans. It’s a scam because of how the money is flowing, who will be on the hook for it, who pockets it, and the value one actually receives for it. Read
Aug 27, 2014, 3:06 pm EDT
The federal government is working on a way to track hate speech on Twitter (TWTR).
Truthy is a database created by Indiana University researchers that is dedicated to monitoring all sorts of “social pollution”. This includes political smears, astroturfing, misinformation,suspicious memes and false and misleading ideas, reports Fox News.
The federal government is spending $1 million to aid the creation of the Truthy database. This money will be provide through the National Science Foundation. Researchers working on the database to monitor Twitter hate speech and other forms of misinformation have already received $919,917 in funding for it, Fox News notes. Read
Aug 25, 2014, 2:59 pm EDT
Obamacare recipients could receive less money from tax refunds next year.
Health care premiums tied to the Affordable Care Act may give you a headache come tax season. Tax refunds could be reduced or eliminated entirely if your 2014 income is lower than you estimated it to be when you applied for Obamacare.
Laws connected to the health care plan affect the amount of money you’ll receive from tax refunds. Unless you change your estimated income for the year on HealthCare.gov to reflect your new salary, part of that income will go to Obamacare. Read