New Jersey Governor Chris Christie has long been considered a rising star in the GOP. Now, his path to the 2016 Republican presidential nomination is in jeopardy after one of his aides has been tied to a scheme to snarl traffic on the George Washington Bridge for political reasons.
Electronic communications between Christie aide Bridget Anne Kelly and a Port Authority of New York and New Jersey official, obtained by local newspapers, indicate that two conspired to close all but one traffic lane coming off the iconic bridge in a deliberate effort to cause massive traffic jams in Fort Lee, N.J. The mayor of that town had not endorsed Christie in his bid to win reelection as governor and the move was political payback, the Star-Ledger notes.
In an August email, Bridget Anne Kelly wrote “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee.” The lane closures commenced less than a month later.
Here are five things to know about Bridget Anne Kelly, according to the Star-Ledger:
- She holds a B.A. in political science from Mount St. Mary’s University in Maryland.
- Bridget Anne Kelly is married with four children and lives in Ramsey, N.J.
- Paid $114,000 a year, Bridget Anne Kelly has been part of the Christie administration since 2010.
- Bridget Anne Kelly was tapped as hristie’s deputy chief of staff for legislative and intergovernmental affairs last April.
- She kicked off her career in N.J. government as an aide to a GOP state assemblyman more than a decade ago.
Want to share your own views on money and politics? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we might reprint your views in our InvestorPolitics blog! Please include your name, city and state of residence. All letters submitted to this address will be considered for publication.