by Nate Wooley | March 12, 2013 9:44 am
Real estate mogul and recent political gadfly Donald Trump is offering to offset one of the effects of the sequester.
The millionaire — and thorn in the president’s side — is offering to pay for the resumption of the sequester-canceled White House tours, CNN reports.
Trump is offering to pay for the tours after it was suggested by fellow Republican Newt Gingrich. Gingrich sent out a tweet last week about the canceled tours that said, “Donald trump should offer to pay for the white house tours. He can afford it and it would show who cares more for American students.” When asked about the tweet on Fox News, Trump said it sounded like a good idea.
According to the Secret Service, the cost of providing security for the tours comes to $74,000 per week. That means Trump would be on the hook for about $2 million through the end of the current fiscal year should the White House accept his offer.
But that seems unlikely. White House Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest told reporters that he didn’t know if accepting donations was possible, but he guessed it was not.
The opinions contained in this column are solely those of the writer.
Want to share your own views on money and politics? Drop us a line at email@example.com and we might reprint your views in our InvestorPolitics blog! Please include your name, city and state of residence. All letters submitted to this address will be considered for publication.
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/investorpolitics/donald-trump-offers-to-keep-white-house-tours-going/
Short URL: http://investorplace.com/?p=319803
Copyright ©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.