Election 2012 Takes Social Media by Storm
by Nate Wooley | November 7, 2012 3:52 pm
As political tools social media and the Internet came into their own yesterday.
With tens of millions of people communicating and sharing with each other via Facebook (NASDAQ:FB), Twitter and other sites, information flowed between voters all day. Citizens shared about their plans to vote, they tweeted while they waited to vote, and most of all, they shared while the waited for the results of the vote.
Here are some of the notable events from the social media world yesterday:
- Twitter set an all-time record for a political event with 31 million tweets in the hours before the results. There were 327,452 tweets-per-minute at peak.
- ABC’s (NYSE:DIS) Diane Sawyer’s performance brought about the creation of a “Drunk Diane Sawyer” Twitter account.
- Bob Dylan took to Facebook to make his first post.
- The #stayinline hashtag spread to encourage those in voting lines not to give up.
- Beyonce may have broken the law photographing her ballot for Tumblr.
More from the election:
- Intrade: A Beacon of Clarity in a Messy Election
- Election 2012 – What We Learned
- Top Celebrity Tweets & Posts on Election 2012
The opinions contained in this column are solely those of the writer.
Want to share your own views on money, politics and the 2012 elections? Drop us a line at email@example.com and we might reprint your views in our InvestorPolitics blog! Please include your name, city and state of residence. All letters submitted to this address will be considered for publication.
- [Image]: http://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/investorpoliticsletters2.jpg
- FB: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=FB
- with 31 million tweets: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411830,00.asp
- DIS: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=DIS
- “Drunk Diane Sawyer” Twitter account: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/11/07/diane-sawyer-drunk-during-abc-election-coverage-twitterati-weigh-in/
- his first post: http://www.nctimes.com/entertainment/music/election-inspires-bob-dylan-s-facebook-debut/article_f17b9841-db8c-5d01-a567-0c1399cac017.html
- in voting lines not to give up: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/11/06/polls-stay-open-late-with-voters-still-in-line/
- photographing her ballot for Tumblr: http://idolator.com/7253442/beyonce-vote-photo
- Intrade: A Beacon of Clarity in a Messy Election: http://investorplace.com/2012/11/intrade-a-beacon-of-clarity-in-a-messy-election/
- Election 2012 – What We Learned: http://investorplace.com/investorpolitics/2012-presidential-election-demographics/
- Top Celebrity Tweets & Posts on Election 2012: http://investorplace.com/investorpolitics/top-celebrity-tweets-posts-on-election-2012/
Source URL: http://investorplace.com/investorpolitics/election-2012-takes-social-media-by-storm/
Short URL: http://investorplace.com/?p=255815
Copyright ©2015 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.