In the wake of well-reviewed speeches by Michelle Obama and Bill Clinton, Barack Obama had some large shoes to fill as he formally accepted the Democratic Party’s nomination yesterday. Unfortunately for him, he didn’t quite knock his speech out of the park.
Reviews for Obama’s speech were predictably mixed. While most gave Obama points for a sound performance, the material of his speech divided pundits. MSNBC personalities Chris Mathews, Al Sharpton, and Rachel Maddow praised Obama’s speech, while Fox News commentators Brit Hume, Charles Krauthammer, and Bret Baier panned the speech. CNN was somewhat divided over the speech: while Wolf Blitzer and David Gergen gave the speech high marks, Ari Fleischer and James Carville gave it mixed reviews.
It’s perhaps not surprising, given Obama’s reputation for public speaking skills, that his speech had some top-notch lines included in it. Here are some of the strongest ones he came up with:
- “I’m no longer just a candidate. I’m the president.”
- “So you see, the election four years ago wasn’t about me. It was about you.”
- “I know that campaigns can seem small, and even silly sometimes. Trivial things become big distractions. Serious issues become sound bites. The truth gets buried under an avalanche of money and advertising. If you’re sick of hearing me approve this message, believe me — so am I.”
- “You know, in a world of new threats and new challenges, you can choose leadership that has been tested and proven. Four years ago, I promised to end the war in Iraq. We did. I promised to refocus on the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11. And we have. We’ve blunted the Taliban’s momentum in Afghanistan, and in 2014, our longest war will be over. A new tower rises above the New York skyline, al Qaeda is on the path to defeat and Osama bin Laden is dead.”
- “The path we offer may be harder, but it leads to a better place. And I’m asking you to choose that future.”
For more top quotes from Obama’s speech, check out this Politico article.
– Benjamin Nanamaker, InvestorPlace Money & Politics Editor
The opinions contained in this column are solely those of the writer.
Want to share your own views on money, politics and the 2012 elections? Drop us a line firstname.lastname@example.org and we might reprint your views in our InvestorPolitics blog! Please include your name, city and state of residence. All letters submitted to this address will be considered for publication.