To identify the strongest global banks, Bloomberg examined 78 banks around the world with assets in excess of $100 billion.
Any bank that failed the Federal Reserve’s most recent stress test was not considered for the list.
Banks were then heavily weighted on their Tier 1 capital ratios, which measure an organization’s capital relative to risk-assessed assets.
Other metrics examined included the banks’ balance of non-performing assets, deposits, funding, costs and revenues. Each metric accounted for a portion of the banks overall score. Banks were ranked based on their overall scores.
Here are the top 10 strongest banks in the world, according to Bloomberg:
- Overseas-Chinese Banking
- BOC Hong Kong Holdings (PNIK:BNKHF)
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (NYSE:CM)
- Toronto-Dominion Bank (NYSE:TD)
- National Bank of Canada (PINK:NTIOF)
- Royal Bank of Canada (NYSE:RY)
- United Overseas Bank (PINK:UOVEY)
- DBS Group Holdings (PINK:DBSDY)
- Hang Seng Bank
- Svenska Handelsbanken (PINK:SVNLY)
For Bloomberg’s complete list of the world’s strongest banks, please click here.