US News: 8 Worst Products of 2013
by Karl Utermohlen | December 17, 2013 3:41 pm
Some of the worst products of 2013 were either too expensive, too generic or they simply didn’t meet expectations.
US News came up with a list of the year’s biggest flops based on consumer research and category analysis. From overpriced headphones to gross Oreos, here are the worst products of 2013.
- Lexus IS250: Consumer Reports’ ShopSmart magazine included the Lexus IS250 in its Loser List for 2013 because it is overpriced ($36,000) and there’s “nothing special about it,” according to Consumer Reports’ senior associate automotive writer Eric Evarts. In the luxury car category, the car scored a 52/100.
- Nabisco’s Watermelon Oreo cookie: These fruity Oreo cookies are one of the worst products of the year due to their odd flavor which combines vanilla and something resembling watermelon. The unpleasant aftertaste turned off a lot of consumers.
- HTC (HTCKF) First Phone: The HTC First Phone — also known as the ‘Facebook phone’ — was one of the year’s biggest flops in the smartphones category. The phone revolved around Facebook (FB) and it received poor reviews from most customers.
- EarHero earphones: Would you pay $150 for earphones for the “world’s safest headphones?” Most people wouldn’t pay half of that for this product which got 6/100 in its Consumer Reports score.
- Sherwin-Williams (SHW) Duration Home Interior paint: Consumer Reports’ calls this paint “pretty shabby” after realizing how bad it is with stains. The product got a 60/100 in its category.
- WorkFit Exerpeutic 1030 Desk Treadmill: $750 is a lot of money to buy a potentially deadly machine. This treadmill makes the worst products list due to its manufacturing defects that pose a tripping risk.
- Sandra by Sandra Lee 53156 blender: This blender was a huge flop that doesn’t make very good smoothies. It got an abysmal 14/100 score from Consumer Reports.
- TwitterMusic App (TWTR): Twitter tried to come up with a radio app to compete with other big names like Pandora (P) but the app failed miserably in comparison to other apps.
You can read more about the worst products of 2013 here.
- [Image]: https://investorplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Worst-Products.jpg
- the year’s biggest flops: http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/12/16/the-8-biggest-product-flops-of-2013
- HTCKF: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=HTCKF
- FB: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=FB
- SHW: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=SHW
- TWTR: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=TWTR
- P: http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/investplace/quote?Symbol=P
- here: http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2013/12/16/the-8-biggest-product-flops-of-2013
Source URL: https://investorplace.com/2013/12/worst-products-product-flops/
Short URL: http://invstplc.com/1fpXkDh
Copyright ©2017 InvestorPlace Media, LLC. All rights reserved. 700 Indian Springs Drive, Lancaster, PA 17601.