Basic materials stocks finished down 0.6% on Wall Street on Wednesday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.3%, the Nasdaq was unchanged and the S&P 500 fell 0.3%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Aurico Gold Inc (AUQ): AUQ stock is up 9.4% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is up 1.5% today.
- Celanese Corp (CE): CE stock is up 1.3% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is up 1.2%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is up 1.1% today.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 1.1% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 1.0% today.
- Berry Plastics Group Inc (BERY): BERY stock is up 0.9%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Royal Gold (RGLD): RGLD stock is up 0.8% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 0.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 7.6% today on 5 times normal volume.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is down 2.1% to a new 52-week low of $9.95.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is down 1.8% today.
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is down 1.5% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is down 1.4% today.
- Raven Industries (RAVN): RAVN stock is down 1.4% today.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is down 1.3% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is down 1.3% today.
- Albany International Corp (AIN): AIN stock is down 1.3% today.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is down 1.3% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.