Mans Tears Hole in Esophagus After Eating Ghost Pepper

One man was regretting consuming a ghost pepper after it led to a hole in his esophagus.

Ghost Pepper

The 47-year-old man, who remains unnamed, was included in a case study after he suffered from a rare case of Boerhaave’s syndrome, which is when a hole forms in the esophagus. The man in question had this happen after consuming a hamburger that was coated with a ghost pepper blend.

The man finished the hamburger and tried to reduce the heat by downing six glasses of water. This didn’t work and he started to vomit. This is what caused him to have a roughly 1-inch tear in his throat. Not the actual heat of the ghost pepper. He suffered stomach pain and ended up in a hospital for 23 days.

The unlucky ghost pepper eater got his throat repaired by doctors and was allowed to leave the hospital. However, he had to do so with a gastric tube installed. Doctors used this time to warn against social media challenges, such as the ghost pepper one, reports Chicago Tribune.

The man that was hospitalized after eating a ghost pepper was taking part in a food challenge when the incident occurred. While definitely hot, the ghost pepper isn’t the hottest pepper on Earth. Two other peppers, the Naga Viper and the Carolina Reaper, sit above it on the Scoville Scale.

The Scoville Scale was created by Wilbur Scoville as a way to measure pepper heat. He was also one of the first people to suggest using milk to combat a pepper’s heat.

More From InvestorPlace

Article printed from InvestorPlace Media,

©2021 InvestorPlace Media, LLC