Facebook (FB) continues to be one of the leading websites in the planet and millions took to the social network in 2013 to discuss the intricacies of twerking and other hot topics.
From the adorable to the tragic and even the absurd, here are the 10 most discussed topics on Facebook in 2013.
- Pope Francis – Pope Benedict XVI’s retirement gave way to the election of Pope Francis, an Argentine who won the heart of liberal Catholics everywhere.
- Election – Many Facebook users weren’t shy about their political views and opinions during the 2013 U.S. general elections.
- Royal Baby – Perhaps the most adorable story of the year was the birth of Prince George Alexander Louis of Cambridge, the royal baby.
- Typhoon – Facebook users expressed their support for the 5,900+ Typhoon Haiyan victims in the Philippines and other parts of Southeast Asia.
- Harlem Shake – One of the year’s biggest memes consisted of silly, 30-second videos of YouTube stars, athletes and pretty much everyone else dancing to the Baauer song ‘Harlem Shake’ in ridiculous costumes.
- Flood – A series of floods in Colorado have been causing a lot of damage over a large part of the state with eight reported deaths and many injuries.
- Miley Cyrus – The singer became the most-talked about pop star in the world after her twerking fiasco with Robin Thicke.
- Boston Marathon – The Boston marathon bombing that killed five people and injured close to 300 others was one of 2013’s biggest tragedies.
- Tour de France – 2013 marked the 100th edition of the summer cycling Grand Tour which ended with Great Britain’s Chris Froome as the winner.
- Nelson Mandela – The former president of South Africa responsible for abolishing the country’s apartheid died on Dec. 5, 2013 at age 95.