Basic materials stocks declined 1.6% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 1.2%, the Nasdaq increased 0.2% and the S&P 500 fell 1.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 3.3% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 1.2% today.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is up 0.8% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Agrium Inc (AGU): AGU stock is up 0.7% today.
- Compass Minerals Intl Inc (CMP): CMP stock is up 0.5% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 0.2% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 0.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is down 6.7% today on 3 times normal volume.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is down 6.0% today and down 30.6% in the last month.
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is down 5.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc (FCX): FCX stock is down 5.1% today and down 24.6% in the last month.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is down 5.0% today.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is down 4.5% today.
- Weyerhaeuser Company (WY): WY stock is down 4.5% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Plum Creek Timber Company (PCL): PCL stock is down 4.4% today on 4 times normal volume.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is down 4.4% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Mueller Water Products (MWA): MWA stock is down 4.2% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.