Basic materials stocks declined 1.6% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 1.2%, the Nasdaq increased 0.2% and the S&P 500 fell 1.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 3.3% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 1.2% today.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is up 0.8% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Agrium Inc (AGU): AGU stock is up 0.7% today.
- Compass Minerals Intl Inc (CMP): CMP stock is up 0.5% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 0.2% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 0.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is down 6.7% today on 3 times normal volume.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is down 6.0% today and down 30.6% in the last month.
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is down 5.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc (FCX): FCX stock is down 5.1% today and down 24.6% in the last month.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is down 5.0% today.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is down 4.5% today.
- Weyerhaeuser Company (WY): WY stock is down 4.5% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Plum Creek Timber Company (PCL): PCL stock is down 4.4% today on 4 times normal volume.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is down 4.4% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Mueller Water Products (MWA): MWA stock is down 4.2% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.