MetroPCS, T-Mobile Get Merger Approval From FCC

After the merger, the company will be the fourth largest carrier

   

T Mobile storefront 630 300x225 MetroPCS, T Mobile Get Merger Approval From FCCThe merger between Deutsche Telekom‘s (PINK:DTEGY) T-Mobile and MetroPCS (NYSE:PCS) has cleared its final regulatory hurdle.

Approval for the deal, which was announced in October, has been granted by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). The deal unites the nation’s fourth and fifth largest wireless companies. MetroPCS investors will hold a 26% stake in the new entity, which will retain the T-Mobile name. Deutsche Telekom will own the remaining 74% of the company, the Los Angeles Times noted.

ATTLogo MetroPCS, T Mobile Get Merger Approval From FCC
AT&T Eyes $3.5B Stake in Indian Telecom

An FCC commissioner said the two companies had promised not to shutter U.S.-based call centers, retail stores or shed retail jobs. Earlier this month, reports surfaced that T-Mobile was cutting up to 100 employees at its headquarters near Seattle, Wash.

The combined company will hold still have fewer customers than rivals Verizon (NYSE:VZ), AT&T (NYSE:T) and Sprint (NYSE:S).

In April, MetroPCS shareholders will get to vote on the deal.

Shares of MetroPCS sank almost 1% in Wednesday morning trading.


Article printed from InvestorPlace Media, http://investorplace.com/2013/03/metropcs-t-mobile-get-merger-approval-from-fcc/.

©2014 InvestorPlace Media, LLC

Comments are currently unavailable. Please check back soon.