Video gamers are practically salivating at the upcoming debut of a massive multiplayer online version of a top selling video game.
The online version of Take-Two Interactive Software‘s (TTWO) Grand Theft Auto video game franchise doesn’t launch until October 1. But the company is already bracing for a massive response from customers and is providing hints about players can expect.
Here are 8 things to know about Grand Theft Auto Online:
- The company is adding more servers to accommodate a dramatic increase in the number of expected online players.
- Teams of up to 16 players will be able to play simultaneously.
- Players can commit crime and mayhem on their own, with a partner or as part of a team.
- There will be a wide variety of racing activities, including road races, boat races and even aerial action.
- Players can take a break from violence and theft to play a bit of digital tennis and golf.
- Players will be able to customize their online characters, even collecting cars and weapons.
- Additional features will be added during the first few weeks of operation, including a Beach Bum Pack of vehicles and a new set of Heist missions.
- Players will be able to purchase online currency to advance gameplay with real-world cash.
Grand Theft Auto V broke release records when it debuted earlier this month, generating $800 million in sales during the first 24 hours of its release.
Shares of Take-Two Interactive Software climbed around 2% in Thursday morning trading.