Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street on Wednesday morning, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average stayed level, the Nasdaq declined 0.3% and the S&P 500 stayed the same.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is up 6.1% to a new 52-week high of $34.57.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 2.3% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is up 3.4% today.
- International Paper Company (IP): IP stock is up 3.2% today.
- Compass Minerals Intl Inc (CMP): CMP stock is up 2.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 2.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is up 1.4% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is up 1.1% today.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 0.9% today.
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is up 1.0% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is down 5.1% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is down 3.0%, marking the sixth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is down 2.9% today.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is down 2.9%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is down 2.6% to a new 52-week low of $7.44.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is down 2.3% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 2.0% today.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is down 1.8% today.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW): SLW stock is down 1.8% today.
- Aurico Gold Inc (AUQ): AUQ stock is down 1.9% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.