Basic materials stocks finished down broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 0.7%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.4%, the Nasdaq was down 0.2% and the S&P 500 declined 0.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 6.2%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 1.5% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is up 1.4% today.
- Matthews International Corp (MATW): MATW stock is up 1.0% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is up 0.9% today.
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 0.6%, marking the eighth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF.B): GEF.B stock is up 0.5% today.
- Bhp Billiton Limited (BHP): BHP stock is up 0.5% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 0.5% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is up 0.5% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is down 2.5% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 2.1% today.
- Cabot Corp (CBT): CBT stock is down 2.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Sonoco Products Company (SON): SON stock is down 2.0% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 2.0% today.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is down 1.9% today.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is down 1.9% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is down 1.8% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is down 1.8% today.
- PPG Industries (PPG): PPG stock is down 1.8% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.