Basic materials stocks finished up 0.7% on Wall Street on Wednesday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average remained flat, the Nasdaq stayed the same and the S&P 500 was steady.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 2.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is up 2.5% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 2.3% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is up 2.2% today.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is up 2.1% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 2.1% today.
- Crown Cork & Seal Company (CCK): CCK stock is up 2.0% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 1.9% today.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is up 1.9% today and up 26.6% in the last month.
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is up 1.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Innophos Holdings (IPHS): IPHS stock is down 0.8% today.
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is down 0.7% today.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is down 0.7% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc. (FCX): FCX stock is down 0.6% today.
- A. Schulman (SHLM): SHLM stock is down 0.6% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is down 0.5% today.
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is down 0.5% today.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is down 0.5% today.
- Enpro Industries (NPO): NPO stock is down 0.4% today.
- Precision Castparts Corp (PCP): PCP stock is down 0.4% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.