Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street on Friday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 1.2%, the Nasdaq climbed 1.3% and the S&P 500 was up 1.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is up 3.6% today.
- Sherwin-Williams Company (SHW): SHW stock is up 2.8% today.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is up 2.4% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 2.3% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 2.3% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is up 2.2% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 2.2% today.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is up 2.2% today.
- Cabot Corp (CBT): CBT stock is up 2.0% today.
- Valspar Corp (VAL): VAL stock is up 1.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 2.2% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 1.7% today.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is down 1.6% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is down 1.3% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 1.3% today.
- Matthews International Corp (MATW): MATW stock is down 1.1% today.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is down 1.2% today.
- Kaman Corp (KAMN): KAMN stock is down 1.1% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 0.9% today and down 21.2% in the last month.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is down 0.9%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.