Basic materials stocks finished up 0.7% on Wall Street on Wednesday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.7%, the Nasdaq was down 0.6% and the S&P 500 fell 0.7%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 5.6% today.
- Air Products and Chemicals (APD): APD stock is up 4.3% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Trex Company (TREX): TREX stock is up 3.4% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is up 3.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is up 3.1% today.
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is up 2.9% today.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is up 2.8% today.
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is up 2.8% today.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 2.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- W.R. Grace & Company (GRA): GRA stock is up 2.6% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 3.8% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 3.4% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is down 2.5% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is down 2.1% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 2.0% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is down 1.4% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is down 1.4% today.
- Cabot Corp (CBT): CBT stock is down 1.3%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Weyerhaeuser Company (WY): WY stock is down 1.3% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is down 1.3% today on 2 times normal volume.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.