Basic materials stocks finished flat on Thursday on Wall Street.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.2%, the Nasdaq increased 1.5% and the S&P 500 climbed 1.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is up 4.4% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is up 4.0%, marking the fifth consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is up 3.8% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 3.1% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is up 3.0% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Mueller Industries (MLI): MLI stock is up 2.9% today.
- Albany International Corp (AIN): AIN stock is up 2.7% today.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is up 2.7% today.
- Circor International (CIR): CIR stock is up 2.6% today.
- Leucadia National Corp (LUK): LUK stock is up 2.3% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is down 1.6% today.
- Mosaic Company (MOS): MOS stock is down 0.9% today.
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is down 0.8% today.
- Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc (POT): POT stock is down 0.7% today.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is down 0.6% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is down 0.6% today.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is down 0.5% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is down 0.5% today.
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is down 0.5% today.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is down 0.4% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.