Basic materials stocks declined on Wall Street today, down 0.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average declined 0.9%, the Nasdaq was down 1.3% and the S&P 500 fell 0.9%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is up 3.4% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 2.4% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW): SLW stock is up 2.1% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is up 1.9% today.
- Bhp Billiton Limited (BHP): BHP stock is up 1.3% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is up 1.3% today.
- Lyondellbasell Industries Nv (LYB): LYB stock is up 1.2% today.
- Agrium Inc (AGU): AGU stock is up 0.9% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 0.7% today.
- Plum Creek Timber Company (PCL): PCL stock is up 0.7% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is down 3.7% today.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is down 3.6% today and down 20.3% in the last month.
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is down 3.5% today.
- Kronos Worldwide Inc (KRO): KRO stock is down 3.4% today on 4 times normal volume.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 3.2% today.
- Crane Company (CR): CR stock is down 2.8% today.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is down 2.5% today.
- Globe Specialty Metals Inc (GSM): GSM stock is down 2.4% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is down 2.2% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc. (FCX): FCX stock is down 2.2% today and down 22.3% in the last month.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.