Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street so far on Thursday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.1%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.4%, the Nasdaq declined 0.6% and the S&P 500 was down 0.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is up 7.2% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 6.2% today and up 26.5% in the last month.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is up 5.7% today and up 31.5% in the last month.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is up 6.3% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is up 5.7% today.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is up 5.9% today and up 51.3% in the last month.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is up 5.0% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 5.5% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is up 5.5% today and up 28.4% in the last month.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 5.4% today and up 27.3% in the last month.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is down 5.0% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is down 2.4% today and down 20.1% in the last month.
- Dominion Diamond Corp (DDC): DDC stock is down 2.3% today.
- Universal Forest Products (UFPI): UFPI stock is down 1.4% today.
- H. B. Fuller Company (FUL): FUL stock is down 2.7% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is down 1.4% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is down 1.9% today.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is down 1.1% today.
- Quaker Chemical Corp (KWR): KWR stock is down 1.2% today.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is down 1.1% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.