Basic materials stocks finished down on Wall Street today, down 1.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6%, the Nasdaq declined 0.6% and the S&P 500 fell 0.6%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Enpro Industries (NPO): NPO stock is up 5.1% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 2.8% today.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is up 1.4% today.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF.B): GEF.B stock is up 1.3% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is up 1.0% today.
- Universal Forest Products (UFPI): UFPI stock is up 1.0% today.
- Sensient Technologies Corp (SXT): SXT stock is up 0.6% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is up 0.8% today.
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is up 0.7%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Cabot Corp (CBT): CBT stock is up 0.6% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 12.5% today and down 24.3% in the last month.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc. (FCX): FCX stock is down 10.9% today on 4 times normal volume.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 7.8% today.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is down 7.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is down 7.2% today.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is down 6.3%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is down 5.9% today.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is down 5.4% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Dominion Diamond Corp (DDC): DDC stock is down 5.4%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is down 5.4% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.