Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street on Thursday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.9%, the Nasdaq rose 1.0% and the S&P 500 pushed 0.9% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is up 3.3% today.
- Albany International Corp (AIN): AIN stock is up 3.1% today.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is up 2.8% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Globe Specialty Metals Inc (GSM): GSM stock is up 2.6% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 2.4% today.
- RPM International Inc (RPM): RPM stock is up 2.3% today.
- Dover Corp (DOV): DOV stock is up 2.2% today.
- Balchem Corp (BCPC): BCPC stock is up 2.2% today.
- Calgon Carbon Corp (CCC): CCC stock is up 2.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Watts Water Technologies (WTS): WTS stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 4.1% today.
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is down 4.0% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is down 3.2% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 3.1% today.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is down 2.2% today on 2 times normal volume.
- W.R. Grace & Company (GRA): GRA stock is down 1.8% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is down 1.6% today.
- Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI): IPI stock is down 1.6% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is down 1.4% today.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is down 1.4% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.