Basic materials stocks declined 0.4% on Wall Street so far on Wednesday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.5%, the Nasdaq climbed 1.5% and the S&P 500 was up 0.5%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is up 11.1% today.
- Praxair (PX): PX stock is up 2.2% today.
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is up 2.0% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 2.4% today.
- International Paper Company (IP): IP stock is up 1.3% today.
- Murphy USA Inc. Common Stock Wh (MUSA): MUSA stock is up 0.7% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is up 1.3% today.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (SMG): SMG stock is up 1.3% today.
- Cytec Industries Inc (CYT): CYT stock is up 1.0% today.
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is up 0.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 4.9% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 4.2% today and down 22.6% in the last month.
- Harmony Gold Mining Co. Ltd (HMY): HMY stock is down 3.8% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc. (FCX): FCX stock is down 3.8% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is down 2.5% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is down 3.1% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 2.5% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 2.2% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 1.7% today.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is down 2.8% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.