Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.9%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 1.2%, the Nasdaq pushed 0.9% higher and the S&P 500 was up 1.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc. (FCX): FCX stock is up 3.8% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is up 3.6% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 3.2% today and up 25.9% in the last month.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 3.1% today.
- Parker-Hannifin Corp (PH): PH stock is up 2.7% today.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is up 2.7% today.
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is up 2.6% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is up 2.6% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is up 2.5% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 2.4% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is down 0.7% today.
- Dominion Diamond Corp (DDC): DDC stock is down 0.7% today.
- Plum Creek Timber Company (PCL): PCL stock is down 0.3% today.
- Ashland Inc (ASH): ASH stock is down 0.2% today.
- Cf Industries Holdings (CF): CF stock is down 0.2% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.