Basic materials stocks advanced 1.2% on Wall Street on Thursday morning.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.7%, the Nasdaq was up 0.5% and the S&P 500 pushed 0.7% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- W.R. Grace & Company (GRA): GRA stock is up 10.4% today.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is up 6.2% today.
- Ball Corp (BLL): BLL stock is up 5.3% today.
- Crown Cork & Seal Company (CCK): CCK stock is up 3.6% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is up 3.3% today.
- Rexnord Corp (RXN): RXN stock is up 3.1% today.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 2.9% today.
- Silgan Holdings (SLGN): SLGN stock is up 2.4% today.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is up 2.1% today.
- Globe Specialty Metals Inc (GSM): GSM stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is down 15.5% today.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is down 3.8% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 3.9% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is down 3.2% today.
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is down 2.8% today.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is down 3.0% today.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is down 2.3% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 2.4% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 2.2% today.
- Stillwater Mining Company (SWC): SWC stock is down 1.6% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.