Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street so far on Thursday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average pushed 0.6% higher, the Nasdaq rose 0.7% and the S&P 500 was up 0.6%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 8.3% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is up 7.1% today.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is up 6.0% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is up 5.5% today.
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 4.6% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is up 4.5% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 4.1% today.
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 3.9% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 3.9% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is up 3.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 5.1% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is down 1.0%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Murphy USA Inc. Common Stock Wh (MUSA): MUSA stock is down 0.8% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 0.8% today.
- Wd-40 Company (WDFC): WDFC stock is down 0.5% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is down 0.4% today.
- Cf Industries Holdings (CF): CF stock is down 0.3% today.
- Airgas Inc (ARG): ARG stock is down 0.2% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.