Basic materials stocks advanced 0.3% on Wall Street so far on Wednesday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.2%, the Nasdaq declined 0.5% and the S&P 500 was down 0.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is up 2.8% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is up 2.8% today and up 21.7% in the last month.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is up 2.7% today.
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is up 2.2% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 2.1% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 2.1% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 1.7% today.
- Agrium Inc (AGU): AGU stock is up 1.7% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 1.6% today.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is up 1.6% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is down 5.2% today.
- Weyerhaeuser Company (WY): WY stock is down 1.1% today.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is down 1.2% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is down 1.0% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is down 0.9% today.
- Crown Cork & Seal Company (CCK): CCK stock is down 1.0% today.
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is down 0.9% today.
- Sealed Air Corp (SEE): SEE stock is down 0.8% today.
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is down 0.7% today.
- Universal Forest Products (UFPI): UFPI stock is down 0.8% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.