Basic materials stocks finished up 0.3% on Wall Street on Thursday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.3%, the Nasdaq was up 0.4% and the S&P 500 climbed 0.3%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 6.7% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is up 4.9% today.
- Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc (POT): POT stock is up 3.9% today.
- Dover Corp (DOV): DOV stock is up 3.5% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is up 3.4% today.
- Nucor Corp (NUE): NUE stock is up 3.4% today.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is up 3.3% today.
- Steel Dynamics (STLD): STLD stock is up 3.3% today.
- Royal Gold (RGLD): RGLD stock is up 2.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Murphy USA Inc. Common Stock Wh (MUSA): MUSA stock is down 1.1% today.
- Celanese Corp (CE): CE stock is down 1.0% today.
- E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Company (DD): DD stock is down 0.9% today.
- Packaging Corporation of America (PKG): PKG stock is down 0.9% today.
- Sonoco Products Company (SON): SON stock is down 0.8% today.
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is down 0.5% today.
- Plum Creek Timber Company (PCL): PCL stock is down 0.4% today.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is down 0.4% today.
- Domtar Corp (UFS): UFS stock is down 0.3% today.
- Ashland Inc (ASH): ASH stock is down 0.3% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.