Basic materials stocks finished up broadly on Wall Street on Wednesday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.4%, the Nasdaq was down 0.5% and the S&P 500 declined 0.4%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is up 3.9% today on 2 times normal volume.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is up 3.9% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is up 3.4% today.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is up 3.3% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 2.8% today.
- Innophos Holdings (IPHS): IPHS stock is up 2.3% today.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is up 2.3% today.
- Mercer International Inc (MERC): MERC stock is up 2.1% today.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 2.0% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 1.8% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is down 2.0% today.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is down 2.0% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is down 1.9% today.
- Eastman Chemical Company (EMN): EMN stock is down 1.5% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is down 1.4% today.
- Allegheny Technologies Inc (ATI): ATI stock is down 1.3% today.
- Newmarket Corp (NEU): NEU stock is down 1.3% today.
- Mosaic Company (MOS): MOS stock is down 1.3% today.
- International Paper Company (IP): IP stock is down 1.1% today.
- Sensient Technologies Corp (SXT): SXT stock is down 1.0% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.