Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street on Thursday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.1%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.4%, the Nasdaq was unchanged and the S&P 500 pushed 0.4% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is up 1.8% today.
- Simpson Manufacturing Company (SSD): SSD stock is up 1.6% today.
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is up 1.5% today.
- Carlisle Companies Inc (CSL): CSL stock is up 1.4% today.
- Praxair (PX): PX stock is up 1.0% today.
- Wd-40 Company (WDFC): WDFC stock is up 1.0% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 1.0% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is up 1.0% today.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is up 0.9% today.
- Curtiss-Wright Corp (CW): CW stock is up 0.9% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is down 3.1% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 2.5% today.
- Clearwater Paper Corp (CLW): CLW stock is down 1.7% today.
- Kinross Gold Corp (KGC): KGC stock is down 1.7% today.
- Newmont Mining Corp (NEM): NEM stock is down 1.7% today.
- Yamana Gold (AUY): AUY stock is down 1.6% today.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is down 1.6% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is down 1.5% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.3% today.
- Innophos Holdings (IPHS): IPHS stock is down 1.2% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.