Basic materials stocks advanced 0.3% on Wall Street on Thursday morning.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.6%, the Nasdaq pushed 0.4% higher and the S&P 500 was up 0.6%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 4.8% today and up 22.4% in the last month.
- Sociedad Quimica Y Minera S.A. (SQM): SQM stock is up 4.4% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 4.3% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is up 3.0% today.
- Enpro Industries (NPO): NPO stock is up 2.7% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is up 2.6% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is up 2.4% today.
- Mueller Water Products (MWA): MWA stock is up 2.2% today.
- Globe Specialty Metals Inc (GSM): GSM stock is up 2.6% today.
- Agrium Inc (AGU): AGU stock is up 1.6% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Bhp Billiton Plc (BBL): BBL stock is down 3.0% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 2.2% today.
- Bhp Billiton Limited (BHP): BHP stock is down 2.0% today.
- Century Aluminum Company (CENX): CENX stock is down 0.8% today.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 2.2% today.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is down 1.2% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 1.2% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is down 1.1% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is down 1.1% today.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is down 0.8% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.