Basic materials stocks rose broadly on Wall Street on Wednesday morning, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 0.3%, the Nasdaq pushed 0.5% higher and the S&P 500 was up 0.3%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is up 6.3% today.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 1.5% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is up 1.1% today.
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is up 1.0% today.
- Dominion Diamond Corp (DDC): DDC stock is up 1.0% today.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is up 0.9% today.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is up 0.9% today.
- Chemtura Corp (CHMT): CHMT stock is up 0.9% today.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is up 0.9% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 0.8% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 3.6% today and down 21.0% in the last month.
- Greif Bros. Corp (GEF): GEF stock is down 2.6% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 2.4% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is down 2.4% today.
- Anglogold Ashanti Ltd (AU): AU stock is down 2.2% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is down 2.1%, marking the fourth consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Valspar Corp (VAL): VAL stock is down 2.1% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 1.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is down 1.6% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is down 1.4% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.