Basic materials stocks declined broadly on Wall Street so far on Wednesday, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 0.3%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.5%, the Nasdaq pushed 0.8% higher and the S&P 500 was up 0.5%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Owens-Illinois (OI): OI stock is up 9.3% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 3.9% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is up 3.8% today.
- Sasol Ltd (SSL): SSL stock is up 3.5% today.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is up 3.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is up 3.3% today.
- Aurico Gold Inc (AUQ): AUQ stock is up 2.7% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is up 2.9% today.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW): SLW stock is up 2.6% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Company (DD): DD stock is down 6.7% today.
- Fibria Celulose S.A. (FBR): FBR stock is down 2.9% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is down 1.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 1.5% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 1.5% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 1.4% today.
- FMC Corp (FMC): FMC stock is down 0.8% today.
- Precision Castparts Corp (PCP): PCP stock is down 1.4% today.
- Trex Company (TREX): TREX stock is down 1.2% today.
- Vedanta Limited (VEDL): VEDL stock is down 0.9% to a new 52-week low of $13.68.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.