Basic materials stocks finished down broadly on Wall Street today, with the sector seeing an overall decline of 1.1%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 1.1%, the Nasdaq fell 1.6% and the S&P 500 declined 1.1%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc (CLF): CLF stock is up 12.5% today and up 29.7% in the last month.
- Southern Peru Copper Corp (SCCO): SCCO stock is up 1.0% today.
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 0.7% today.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is up 0.6% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 0.5% today.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is up 0.5% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 0.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has increased.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 0.4% today.
- Arcelormittal (MT): MT stock is up 0.3% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 0.2% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Olin Corp (OLN): OLN stock is down 3.2% today.
- Hudbay Minerals Inc (HBM): HBM stock is down 2.7% today.
- Dominion Diamond Corp (DDC): DDC stock is down 2.4% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is down 2.2% today.
- Commercial Metals Company (CMC): CMC stock is down 2.1% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 2.1% today.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (SLW): SLW stock is down 2.0% today.
- Worthington Industries (WOR): WOR stock is down 2.0% today.
- Enpro Industries (NPO): NPO stock is down 2.0% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is down 2.0% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.