Basic materials stocks finished up 1.6% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.1%, the Nasdaq pushed 1.3% higher and the S&P 500 climbed 1.1%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Mueller Water Products (MWA): MWA stock is up 3.2% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 3.0% today.
- Berry Plastics Group Inc (BERY): BERY stock is up 2.7% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is up 2.5% today.
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is up 2.5% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is up 2.5% today.
- Cf Industries Holdings (CF): CF stock is up 2.4% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is up 2.3% today.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is up 2.3% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 2.2% today on 2 times normal volume.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is down 2.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Quaker Chemical Corp (KWR): KWR stock is down 0.6% today.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is down 0.3% today.
- Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc (POT): POT stock is down 0.3% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 0.2% today.
- H. B. Fuller Company (FUL): FUL stock is down 0.1% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.