Basic materials stocks finished up 1.6% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 1.1%, the Nasdaq pushed 1.3% higher and the S&P 500 climbed 1.1%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Mueller Water Products (MWA): MWA stock is up 3.2% today.
- Polyone Corp (POL): POL stock is up 3.0% today.
- Berry Plastics Group Inc (BERY): BERY stock is up 2.7% today on 3 times normal volume.
- Teck Resources Ltd (TCK): TCK stock is up 2.5% today.
- Carpenter Technology Corp (CRS): CRS stock is up 2.5% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is up 2.5% today.
- Cf Industries Holdings (CF): CF stock is up 2.4% today.
- International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF): IFF stock is up 2.3% today.
- Kapstone Paper and Packaging Corp (KS): KS stock is up 2.3% today.
- Ferro Corp (FOE): FOE stock is up 2.2% today on 2 times normal volume.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is down 2.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Quaker Chemical Corp (KWR): KWR stock is down 0.6% today.
- Westlake Chemical Corp (WLK): WLK stock is down 0.3% today.
- Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan Inc (POT): POT stock is down 0.3% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 0.2% today.
- H. B. Fuller Company (FUL): FUL stock is down 0.1% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.