Basic materials stocks finished up 1.6% on Wall Street today.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 1.3%, the Nasdaq rose 1.2% and the S&P 500 increased 1.3%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is up 5.4% today.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is up 3.4% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 3.3% today.
- E.I. Du Pont De Nemours and Company (DD): DD stock is up 2.7% today.
- Allegheny Technologies Inc (ATI): ATI stock is up 2.6% today.
- DOW Chemical Company (DOW): DOW stock is up 2.4% today.
- Eastman Chemical Company (EMN): EMN stock is up 2.3% today.
- Mosaic Company (MOS): MOS stock is up 2.2% today.
- United States Steel Corp (X): X stock is up 2.1% today.
- Novagold Resources Inc (NG): NG stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Vale S.A. (VALE): VALE stock is down 2.7% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 2.2% today.
- Hecla Mining Company (HL): HL stock is down 1.6% today.
- Murphy USA Inc. Common Stock Wh (MUSA): MUSA stock is down 0.6% today.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is down 0.5%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Sensient Technologies Corp (SXT): SXT stock is down 0.5% today.
- RBC Bearings Inc (ROLL): ROLL stock is down 0.3% today.
- A. Schulman (SHLM): SHLM stock is down 0.2% today.
- Polypore International Inc (PPO): PPO stock is down 0.2% today.
- Airgas Inc (ARG): ARG stock is down 0.1% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.