Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street so far on Friday, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 1.2%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 0.6%, the Nasdaq increased 0.7% and the S&P 500 climbed 0.6%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Syngenta Ag (SYT): SYT stock is up 14.4% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is up 9.0% today.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Limited (AEM): AEM stock is up 5.2% today.
- Rti International Metals (RTI): RTI stock is up 3.7% today.
- Alcoa Inc (AA): AA stock is up 3.7% today.
- Eastman Chemical Company (EMN): EMN stock is up 3.4% today.
- Ashland Inc (ASH): ASH stock is up 2.7% today.
- Monsanto Company (MON): MON stock is up 2.2% today.
- Graphic Packaging Holding Company (GPK): GPK stock is up 2.1% today.
- Rio Tinto Plc (RIO): RIO stock is up 2.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 4.4%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Enpro Industries (NPO): NPO stock is down 3.6% today.
- Gold Fields Ltd (GFI): GFI stock is down 2.4% today.
- Cameco Corp (CCJ): CCJ stock is down 2.1% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 1.3% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is down 0.9% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is down 0.7% today.
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is down 0.8% today.
- Weyerhaeuser Company (WY): WY stock is down 0.8%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Berry Plastics Group Inc (BERY): BERY stock is down 0.4% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.