Basic materials stocks advanced broadly on Wall Street on Tuesday morning, with the sector seeing an overall increase of 0.1%.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was up 0.2%, the Nasdaq was unchanged and the S&P 500 pushed 0.2% higher.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Copene-Petroquimica Do Nordeste (BAK): BAK stock is up 2.5% today.
- Freeport-Mcmoran Inc. (FCX): FCX stock is up 1.5% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is up 1.3% today.
- Compania Mina Buenaventura S.A. (BVN): BVN stock is up 1.7% today.
- Aluminum Corporation of China Ltd (ACH): ACH stock is up 1.3% today.
- Schweitzer-Mauduit International (SWM): SWM stock is up 1.3% today.
- Goldcorp Inc (GG): GG stock is up 1.4% today.
- Meadwestvaco Corp (MWV): MWV stock is up 1.3% today.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is up 1.1% today.
- Terra Nitrogen Company L.P. (TNH): TNH stock is up 1.1% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is down 2.6% today.
- Grupo Simec S.A. De C.V. (SIM): SIM stock is down 2.1%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 1.3%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO): EGO stock is down 1.1% today.
- Dominion Diamond Corp (DDC): DDC stock is down 1.1% today.
- Stepan Company (SCL): SCL stock is down 0.8% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 0.4% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 1.6% today.
- Georgia Gulf Corp (AXLL): AXLL stock is down 0.9% today.
- Randgold Resources Limited (GOLD): GOLD stock is down 0.8% today.
For more information on the best stocks to buy right now, check out the latest commentary on InvestorPlace.com.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.