Basic materials stocks rose 0.3% on Wall Street so far on Wednesday.
More broadly, the Dow Jones Industrial Average increased 0.2%, the Nasdaq was up 0.3% and the S&P 500 rose 0.2%.
Some of the biggest gainers among basic materials stocks include:
- Sinopec Shangai Petrochemical Company Ltd (SHI): SHI stock is up 8.3% today.
- Mrc Global Inc (MRC): MRC stock is up 1.8% today.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy (GPRE): GPRE stock is up 2.4% today.
- Valhi Inc (VHI): VHI stock is up 1.7% today.
- Matthews International Corp (MATW): MATW stock is up 1.3% today.
- Methanex Corp (MEOH): MEOH stock is up 1.1% today.
- Dover Corp (DOV): DOV stock is up 1.1% today.
- DOW Chemical Company (DOW): DOW stock is up 0.9% today.
- Kronos Worldwide Inc (KRO): KRO stock is up 0.6% today.
- Pan American Silver (PAAS): PAAS stock is up 0.5% today.
Some of the biggest losers among basic materials stocks include:
- Actuant Corp (ATU): ATU stock is down 3.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Vedanta Limited (VEDL): VEDL stock is down 3.4% to a new 52-week low of $10.76.
- New Gold Inc (NGD): NGD stock is down 2.6%, marking the third consecutive day the stock has decreased.
- Pohang Iron & Steel Co. (PKX): PKX stock is down 2.5% today.
- Gerdau S.A. (GGB): GGB stock is down 1.9% today.
- Cf Industries Holdings (CF): CF stock is down 2.3% today.
- National Steel Corp (SID): SID stock is down 3.3% today.
- A. Schulman (SHLM): SHLM stock is down 2.2% today.
- Minerals Technologies Inc (MTX): MTX stock is down 1.8% today.
- Ternium S.A. (TX): TX stock is down 2.0% today.
And for more on the hot stocks moving most on Wall Street right now, check out our archive of daily market movers by sector here.
Editor’s Note: Returns for the fastest-moving stocks listed here are based on share prices 20 minutes prior to publication of this story.